Re: LCC and blobs

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 01:22:27PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
<snip>
> If there's a parallel between ICQ servers and hardware, it seems to me
> that the ICQ server is like a physical hardware device which requires
> no firmware.
>
> If (all) ICQ servers required that I send it a copy, as a bitstream, of
> Dune before doing anything useful, then Dune seems like firmware.  The client
> wouldn't be useful without a copy of Dune (unless some servers don't require
> it--eg. hardware devices with the firmware in flash), and I'd expect the
> client to Depends: dune, moving it to contrib if it's not packaged or in
> non-free.
>
> I'm open to any examples of client/server applications which require
> copyrightable non-free bits to be sent to the server by the client, that
> aren't as contrived as the above, to aid discussion.

The aim/icq servers do not currently, but could at the flip of a switch
(and have in the past), required you to send a hash of a specified
segment of a specified file from the official (copyrighted) winaim
client. If I am understanding this thread correctly, that would be
roughly the same as a physical device with firmware requirement for the
purposes of this discussion.

this makes it simple, since aim and icq are on the same physical aol
server, and increasingly over time using the same protocol to talk
between the (possibly free) clients such as Gaim (which in fact uses a
single protocol option for both), and the non-free server.

Luke Schierer