Re: Non-free files in source packages?

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 12:11:20AM +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Have Debian evaluated the new RFC copying conditions?  Quoting
> <ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3667.txt> section 3.3:
>
>    a. To the extent that a Contribution or any portion thereof is
>       protected by copyright and other rights of authorship, the
>       Contributor, and each named co-Contributor, and the organization
>       he or she represents or is sponsored by (if any) grant a
>       perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, world-wide
>       right and license to the ISOC and the IETF under all intellectual
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A license that is not even granted to us, let alone the rest of the
world, is of no use to us. If this is really the only license provided
then we can't even redistribute the things - only the ISOC and IETF
can do that. It appears that rfc 3667 does not refer to us at all (see
section 7.5).

Somebody should check whether older rfcs have a similar problem. Did
anybody actually grant a license to *us* to distribute them at all?

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |