Re: mass bug filing for unmet dependencies

Raul Miller writes:

> You can't build those boot loaders on a system which hasn't been booted.

So not only is there a runtime dependency from the boot loader to the
BIOS, but there is a Build-Depends-like dependency as well.  I still
see no conflict with the SC or Policy.

There are a number of things we cannot do without free software.
Synthesizing HDL onto most FPGAs is an example (free tools tend to be
very limited in what they can synthesize for).  Without that
capability, having source for a lot of firmware doesn't make a
difference.  If needing a BIOS to build dependent packages is a reason
to ignore that dependency, why object to firmwares (or even programs
that require non-free compilers)?

Michael Poole