Re: Summary : ocaml, QPL and the DFSG.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:32:53PM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
[compelled unrelated distribution]
> For DFSG 5: What about the group of people that is in countries that
> impose an embargo or export restrictions on countries the "initial
> developer" is in.
> Consider something like a ssl-library was under this licence in the
> times where those were more strictly handled and the "initial developer"
> was outside the USA.

Ooh, good one.  That still applies, even -- if there's QPL'd software
written by an Iranian, the requirement to distribute anything back to the
original author on request totally screws you.  It's even worse, because you
might reasonably think "well, the original author will never hear about my
specially linked version, so it's OK", so you distribute to friends, who
distribute to friends-of-friends, it gets back to the original author and he
compels you by the terms of 6.c to distribute in contravention of the laws
of your country.

The QPL is bad news in yet another way.  Do we need a DFSG basis for "forces
people to break the law"?

- Matt