Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

On 2004-07-15 02:01:55 +0100 Matthew Garrett <mjg59@srcf.ucam.org> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 03:12:25PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
Distribution is no more of interest to the original developer than
modification.  If I'm distributing to you, what business of the
developer's is it?  [...]
Of course distribution is of interest to the original developer. The original recipient (who I provided the software to) is making a copy of something that I put effort into without necessarily giving me anything in return.

While this is the case for free software, isn't the problem that QPL requires us to give something to the original developer in return?

[...] So a Free license isn't going to involve the
original author sticking his nose into my private distribution [...]
In what way does it serve free software to allow people to hoard
modifications rather than allow the community to take advantage of them?

It also seems to allow software to develop in sheltered communities without interference from an obnoxious original developer. If it is good, it will probably escape from the shelter.

"Matthew Garrett is quite the good sort of fellow, despite what
my liver is sure to say about him in [...] 40 years" -- branden