Re: Choice of venue, was: GUADEC report

Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> I'd rather go with a similar policy to where we stand with patents. If a
> license termination clause isn't being actively enforced, and there's no
> good reason to suspect that it will be in future, we should accept it as
> free.

The patent non-policy should not be used as a precedent.  It's there
until the software patent issue goes away in one direction or another
-- the current situation is not tenable for the years to come.  It's
not something anybody should be proud of or enjoy doing, but it's the
only way to have *any* software right now.

The surrounding situation doesn't seem very similar to that of
termination-clause licenses.

I've been told that *any* unilateral license can be terminated by the
grantor, but I can't easily find citations supporting that.

-Brian