Re: Visualboy Advance question.

Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Josh Triplett:
>>Nathanael Nerode wrote:
>>>
>>>Debian main does contain MP3 recorders.  I think that is quite sufficient to
>>>render MP3 players useful with no non-free software; you can make your own
>>>MP3s.
>>
>>Debian main does not contain any MP3 encoders.  The licensing terms of
>>the patent on MP3 require a royalty payment on encoders (but not
>>decoders),
>
> You have to pay royalties for decoders, too:
>
> <http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/index.html>

I see.  You're right.  On the other hand, Debian has had MP3 decoders in
the archive for quite some time, and has never had any problems; perhaps
the patent is not being actively enforced against non-revenue-generating
targets (or "PR nightmare to attack" targets).

In this situation, either MP3 decoders should be removed, or if not,
then MP3 *en*coders should be packaged as well, since there does not
appear to be any distinction between the two except for the amount of
the royalties.

- Josh Triplett