Re: Choice of venue, was: GUADEC report

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 11:13:21AM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> ...again the practical outcome to our users is the same - they suddenly
> discover that they have no right to distribute the software they have.
> Why do we wish to ensure that they have a freedom that can be revoked at
> any time anyway? What practical benefit does this offer them?

I think you're trying to contrast software patents with choice of venue
clauses.  Is that the case?  If so, your question is probably shorthand
for something rather different from what you seem to be asking.

It's likely that if a software patent were imposed by the author or
copyright holder of some software that we'd consider that piece of
software non-free.  Is that what you're trying to argue should be the
case for choice of venue clauses?

Thanks,

--
Raul