Re: request-tracker3: license shadiness

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 09:24:50AM +0100, Andrew Stribblehill wrote:
> Jesse, the upstream developer of RT3 assures me that they have no
> intention of stealing the copyright on code that hasn't been
> intentionally given to them for the purpose of inclusion in RT. He's
> in consultation with Best Practical's lawyers about how best to
> re-word it to reflect their intentions.
>
> Regarding the concept of taking the copyright of code: it's what the
> FSF have been doing since 1992 with Emacs. The difference here is
> that if you feel strongly about it, you get to keep your copyright.

I do not find that difference insignificant.  In any event, as many others
have pointed out, a transfer of copyright might not be valid without a
physical, written instrument signed by both parties.

So, again, we may have a license that is *trying* to do more than it
reasonably *can* do under the law, quite apart from whether its intentions
are DFSG-free or not.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |          You live and learn.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |          Or you don't live long.