Re: request-tracker3: license shadiness

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 06:28:28PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 05:00:54PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> >Your modifications, corrections, or extensions have value.
> > This clause violates the intent of DFSG 1, in my opinion.  "The license
> > may not require a royalty or other fee for such sale."  It does not seem
> > reasonable to me to assume that the license *may* require royalty or
> > other fees for other activities, apart from sale, normally protected by
> > copyright but which are part and parcel of software freedom.
>
> You should provide a more significant objection than "your modifications
> have value".

I don't think it's an "insigificant" objection.

Let's consider the converse.  No modification can ever achieve independent
copyrightability.  But that is clearly not true -- it is commonplace for
people add their copyright notices legitimately to files they modify.

Why does the FSF ask for assignment of copyright of substantial
modifications to their works (like Apple's Objective-C frontend to gcc) if
such things cannot be copyrightable?

Since "your modifications cannot have value" is clearly absurd, it must be
the case that "your modifications can have value".

> "Distribution of source", as required by the GPL, has value, so your
> logic would this mean that the GPL is non-free.

No, because modification is not distribution, and I cannot copyright my act
of distribution[1].

[1] I won't bring up the phenomenon of "performance art" if you won't...

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     I'm a firm believer in not drawing
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     trend lines before you have data