Re: GUADEC report

Andrew Suffield wrote:

>Not much we can do about that, if true. Sounds like the old "free
>software destroys intellectual property" noise.

For reasons that aren't entirely clear to me, people still listen to us.
If we can provide a semi-convincing argument that trademarks don't need
copyright protection, the "But Debian says trademarks don't need
copyright protection" position will have some influence.

>I don't really think that trademarks fit with the spirit of free
>software (despite it being possible to use them), and I'd raise
>serious questions about why they're trying to use them at all. Raising
>artificial barriers to forking is a *bad* thing.

I think Sun has fairly obvious reasons for wanting to use its trademarks
in its software.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org