Re: request-tracker3: license shadiness

On 2004-07-01 08:12:56 +0100 Nick Phillips <nwp@nz.lemon-computing.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 04:51:06PM -0400, Michael Poole wrote:
# Unless otherwise specified, all modifications, corrections or
# extensions to this work which alter its source code become the
# property of Best Practical Solutions, LLC when submitted for
# inclusion in the work.
[...]
No, it's not. It's only saying that *if* you submit them for inclusion in
the work.

Nothing is forcing you to do that.

Aren't we meant to be free to distribute our improvements, even if we might possibly distribute them to the original maintainer too? Then again, making it available to people including the maintainer might not be interpreted as submission by a court unless we send it with "I do hereby submit this patch to you" properly notorised, but at best it looks like a lawyerbomb.

[...] If you don't want to pass ownership of your patch
to them, don't send it in. This is merely an attempt to reduce the hassle
of accepting patches.

From what I understand of the USA, it's unlikely to be regarded as a valid copyright assignment there, isn't it? If so, it's not only unclear or non-free, it's also ineffective for the task you think they want to do.

"To be English is not to be baneful / To be standing by
the flag not feeling shameful / Racist or partial..."
                                            (Morrissey)