Requiring registration of GPL software

Hello,

Sorry if this is not quite in-topic for debian-legal. I run into E4[1], a
collection of Matlab functions, distributed under the GPL.

However, the software can be only downloaded as a zip file protected by a
password, which you can get only by contacting the authors: this effectively
equals to requiring registration of the software.

Apparently, this is in contrast with the GPL (see [2]). I'd just like to be
sure before (politely) informing the authors of this.

A quote from the download page follows:

        E4 Toolbox is redistributable software. You may redistribute it
        and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
        (GPL) as published by the Free Software Foundation.

        For the moment E4 Toolbox is distributed in a encrypted zip file.
        CONTACT us to get the password.

[1] http://www.ucm.es/info/icae/e4/
[2] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowRequireFee

Best Regards,