Re: DFSG#10 [was: Re: Draft Debian-legal summary of the LGPL]

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 03:52:50PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> >     a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
> >        stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.
> >
> > I don't think revision control logs can possibly satify it; it specifically
> > says that the modified files must carry it, not external logs.
>
> No it doesn't. And the GPL FAQ says it doesn't, too.

"cause the modified files to carry prominent notices"; it doesn't say "the
modified files or loosely associated metadata".

> "Copyright FSF, Inc; available under the GPL with no warranty, 'show
> license' for details", only when stdout is a tty, and a configuration
> option that will eliminate it completely. Is that really so bad?

I've explained why I don't like this; if it's unnecessary, then I don't
want it displayed by default in programs I distribute.

04:58am glenn@zewt/2 [~] lftp
lftp :~>

--
Glenn Maynard