Re: IBM Public License (again)

Raul Miller wrote:

> On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 05:17:30PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
>> What if you want to enforce some other patent applicable to software
>> against IBM? What if IBM initiates against you and you want to use
>> such a patent in a counterclaim?
>
> What does this have to do with free software?
>
>> Why should this software's licence, not directly involved in the cases
>> above, terminate?
>
> Software patents make software less free.

Right, but this clause is not narrowly targeted at, for instance,
"patents on mathematical algorithms"
"patents applied to computer programs"
"patents invalid under general pre-1970 law"
"patents made without publishing a working model"

Instead, it uses the vague and broad phrase "patent applicable to software".
As far as I know the breadth of that phrase has not been tested in court,
but it sounds quite broad.