Re: The draft Position statement on the GFDL

Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

>> Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:
>> > Here's where you start running into problems: GPL#2 requires you satisfy
>> > GPL#1 for the modified work, which now includes stuff you do not have
>> > the right to put under GPL's terms.
>
> On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 06:22:11PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
>> No, it says I may only *distribute* it under such a license.
>
> Section 1 says "You may copy and distribute..."

Yes, it does, but some of the requirements after that refer
specifically and exclusively to distribution.

>> > What are the appropriate license notices you've placed?  How do they
>> > satisfy the GPL requirements about the license on the work as a whole?
>
>> "This is private work by Alyssa P. Hacker.  No distribution is
>> intended and no license is granted to any third party" -- after all,
>> it's my personal copy and I really will never distribute it.
>
> This doesn't allow you to make copies of the GPL'd elements.

No, but the license in the GPL to make private copies and to prepare
derivative works does give me that permission.  The limits on that
refer only to changelogs, copyright notices, and the like.  They do
not require me to license my work in any way at all, or indeed to
license it at all.  If I keep it to myself, that's fine.

-Brian