Re: The draft Position statement on the GFDL

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 12:31:55PM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> I've always assumed that where it says copying, that is outside the
> "copying onto one's personal HDD".

In the U.S. (but not some other countries) copyright law has some special
provisions for computer programs that lets you make a few copies in the
process of running the program (and you're allowed to make a backup).
These apply once you get a legal copy of the program.

However, since running a computer program on a general purpose computer
typically requires copying the program from disk into main memory, there
must be some analogous provision in the copyright law of any country where
(a) copyright applies to computer programs and (b) running copyrighted
computer programs is legal.

> I'd always assumed that the GPL
> granted rights "for any personal use" - in which case, what personal
> "uses" does one have the right to?

The GPL has fairly generous terms, and most people don't have to worry
about the restrictions.

There are restrictions, but for most people they just don't matter.

--
Raul