Re: The draft Position statement on the GFDL

On May 10, 2004, at 16:47, Raul Miller wrote:

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 04:36:27PM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
Even worse, at some point this becomes a Lanham Act violation,
rendering the document undistributable.

If a work uses trademarks illegally, we can't distribute that work.

Actually, I wasn't thinking of trademarks when I wrote that. The FSF's application of the GFDL typically includes A GNU Manual as a front cover text and Copies published by the FSF raise funds...

If I modify the manual at all, it's no longer a GNU Manual. Leaving it there may be a false designation of origin, in violation of Title 15, Sec. 1125.