Re: reiser4 non-free?

I don't think my clarifications of what is a derivative work conflicted with the GPL, they merely make it less vague as to what is a derivative work. The notion that if something is linked determines whether it is derivative has no basis in either copyright law or the GPL. rms, correct me if you disagree.

Vagueness is not a benefit to a license, but in this aspect of the GPL it is curable only in specific to a particular program being licensed. It would be nice if the GPL explicitly allowed particular instances of it to specify what are derivative works with some clarity. (Richard, please consider that.....)

I can see that not very clever people who view the GPL as some sort of holy writ will make more of an issue out of it than I want to deal with. So, as a result reiser4 plugins will always be compiled in and never dynamically loadable and the clarifications of what is or is not a derivative work have been removed for now. Users and I will both lose as a result, and maybe some needless lawsuit will result at some time in the future that would have been avoided with clear definitions.

Hans