Re: European Directive on Copyright Law (91/EC/250) wrt open source

On 2004-05-04 07:28:49 +0100 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:

no: what's news is that the copy of 91/EC/250 on which i based the
entire justification for the reverse engineering necessary for samba
to interoperate with windows nt domains has DISAPPEARED.

As I understand it, the directive is not safe to rely on for that permission. You need to use your local law which implements the directive. I think that reverse engineering the part of Windows NT required to interoperate with it would be permitted under UK law if the docs about it are unavailable or incomplete, but IANAL and this really could do with their opinion.

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.