Re: European Directive on Copyright Law (91/EC/250) wrt open source

On 2004-05-03 18:53:35 +0100 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:

this is about interoperability rather than monopoly.

Sure, but you started on about monopolies, which don't really have anything to do with this directive. I assumed that you were referencing competition law, but GPL isn't a monopoly in its eyes.

[...] it could
be said that the GPL is making it impossible to "interoperate".

It could be. Without any direction about whether information available under the GPL can be classed as "readily available" (and thereby forbidding this interopability decompilation permission), I'll not worry about it just yet.

parts about licensing and reverse engineering that i saw in
this same document, in 2000.

The document you referenced dates from 1991, more or less. It may have been amended since, although I can't detect any changes to sections 50B and 50C of the UK Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988, which implements them. Here they are in full: http://www.jenkins-ip.com/patlaw/cdpa1.htm#s50B

i must therefore apologise quite profusely because the
conclusion i came to was based on the version that i saw,
and i am now wondering where the hell it has got to.

OK. If you find it, posting to the fsfe-uk at gnu.org list would be a better forum than debian-legal IMO, because it doesn't directly affect a licence's acceptability to debian.

The best guess I can make is that you might have seen some proposed changes to the directive which never got through.

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.