Re: Fwd: reiser4 non-free?

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 14:16, Mahesh T. Pai wrote:
> Hans Reiser said on Mon, May 03, 2004 at 09:35:39AM -0700,:
>
>  > credits.   Actually, I  think that  requiring that  the  credits be
>  > equally prominent  and retain their  wording is quite  flexible for
>  > that purpose  already, but please inform  me if you see  an issue I
>  > missed.
>
> I'm *not* a developer.
>
> As a  user, I will find it  extremely inconvenient to be  faced with a
> load of messages *anytime*, boot, or whatever.

As a systems administrator, I would have to agree with this,
*especially* when I am trying to debug a problem.  Perhaps a -q (or
--quiet, or whatever your poison is) option should be included by
default.  Then a request could be made that the quiet option not be
enabled by default by distributions.

Two other ideas that I personally wouldn't mind.  Insead of that crappy
marketing stuff that some distributions use (I will refrain from
mentioning names here.) perhaps a progress bar could be shown and we
could read the credits for the various software packages.

My other thought was a welcome, or first use, message of some type.
When I install OpenBSD, the first login includes a welcome message which
lists the software packages included in the base, some tips for where to
start, and it also has a list of developers.  Perhaps a welcome message
could be displayed the first time that one of the applications is used
(or it is displayed until the user disables that message).

Tim Donahue