Re: Fwd: reiser4 non-free?

On Mon, 03 May 2004, Hans Reiser wrote:
> I have never seen a journal reproduce another journal's article
> while deleting the mention of the funding agency.  That kind of
> abuse seems reserved for linux distros to practice.

Yes, but one of the reasons why they don't have to is because people
writing those journal articles don't place their funding agency at the
top of the article in 24 point font.[1]

> Moving them would violate the law.

No. Changing a copyright notice (in its legal effect) would violate
the law. Moving it would not. [Any more so than me moving moving these
journal articles on my desk is illegal.]

> The law does not require this, nor does the GPL.

If the license the work is licensed under is not specified, typically
immediatly after the copyright statement, then the copyright holder
has retained all rights granted by copyright. Thus, placing the work
under the GPL or any other license requires this.

> Are you going to claim that market leverage is not a very real and
> potent form of coercion?

If ReiserFS is concerned about its market share, it might be. But if
ReiserFS is developing Free Software, I'm not sure what market share
has to do with anything.

Debian has had its Free Software Guidelines for quite some time, and
has been enforcing them for longer than reiserfs has been in a stable
kernel. We have always applied them[2] to determine what we can and
cannot distribute. We apply them for various reasons, some of them
pragmatic, some of them dogmatic.

>  My experiments (slightly different from Stallmans and I think
> slightly more to the point than documentation licensing) are also
> being frustrated by you.

So then you think that Debian should ignore it's own Social Contract
because it is interfering with your license experimentation?

I have no idea if a Free Software license is what is right for
reiserfs. If it is, then you must be willing to allow modifications to
reiserfs in ways that you don't particularly like. If you are unable
to allow use or modifications that are abhorrent to you, then Free
Software is probably not right for reiserfs.

You can request that they respect your wishes, and most will do so.[3]
But to require that they respect your wishes is to begin the long
descent into the territory of software that is not Free.

Don Armstrong

1: Possibly because journal editors don't allow this, but I digress.
2: Well, since we've had them, anyway.
3: Assuming they're reasonable wishes (and people...)
--
There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be solved
by brute strength and ignorance.

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu