RE: Fwd: reiser4 non-free?

Is there any way to do an MD5 of either (1) each module in a software
subsystem or (2) each software version and then have a central registry
where interested developers and users can go to see the credits?

That way you could simply do an MD5 of the current binary and use that
fingerprint to see who wrote and contributed to it.  Much like the CDDB
database takes a track/time fingerprint of CD's and then tells you which
songs and artist made the CD.

This could be a kind of historical registry for developers.  If they
want to they can use it to demonstrate to potential employers,
contractors and/or new IPOs to prove their contributions.

It might also be invaluable to eventual science historians that would
like to research the individuals contributing to certain important
systems.

That would seem to be the scalable way to do it.  You could also include
the credits in the source code, but not require them to be duplicated in
in GPL derived works.

I'm sure there are angles I haven't thought of since I'm running on 3
hours sleep.  Maybe a way to look at binary diffs and say, "this is 95%
similar to ReiserFS Version 4.3, would you like to view the credits for
this system?"

Or something like that.

jim burnes
security engineer