Re: LCC and blobs

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 09:20:14PM -0500, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> Peter Van Eynde <pvaneynd@mailworks.org> writes:
>
> > Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> >> No; the hardware is damaged.  No driver can drive that.  The driver
> >> you have is a driver for Foomatic Quxer cards.  You don't have a
> >> Foomatix Quxer; you have a broken pile of junk.
> >
> > So here you argue that because the firmware is gone the hardware is
> > broken, correct?
>
> No, I argue that because you've pried chips off the board, the
> hardware is broken.

Er, no.  Flash can be overwritten with invalid data (eg. nulls or interrupting
a flash process), rendering drivers that expect a working flash to not work.
It's not correct in the general case to say that "no driver can drive that";
some hardware can still be re-flashed to correct the data, so a driver that
does have a (usually redundant) copy of the firmware and code to upload it
can, in fact, drive the device.  However, unlike non-flash devices that need
the firmware uploaded every time, the driver is still useful without it.

Whether or not the "misflashed hardware is a broken device" analogy is
bought, the fact remains that many copies of the hardware still do function,
having working firmware.  The existance of non-working hardware is irrelevant.

--
Glenn Maynard