Re: LCC and blobs

Goswin von Brederlow writes:

> md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:
>
> > On Dec 11, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> >
> >> If the driver has to be able to open the file and read the blob so it
> >> can send it to the device, there's a clear relationship and dependency
> >> between the driver and the blob: if you don't have a copy of the blob,
> >> the driver doesn't work.  (Spewing out "hardware error, firmware not
> >> loaded" doesn't count to me as "working".)
> > The driver is fully capable by itself of driving the device, which is
> > what it is designed to do. The hardware device may not work, but this is
> > not due to a failure of the driver in doing whatever it needs to do.
> > So, for me this qualifies as "working".
> >
> > --
> > ciao, |
> > Marco | [9735 inevA7NZIx.BE]
>
> Does it work with the firmware.deb installed? yes.
> Does it work without the firmare.deb installed? no.
>
> => Depends

Does it work with the non-free BIOS installed? yes.
Does it work without the non-free BIOS installed? no.
 => Boot loaders Depend on BIOS not in Debian.

Does it work with the AOL AIM servers? yes.
Does it work without the AOL AIM servers? no.
 => gaim, naim AIM/ICQ/etc code Depends on software in Debian.

And, please: None of this "it contaminates your file system" argument.
The SC and DFSG do not mention a filesystem, and it should be obvious
that a computer system need not be bounded by short wires.

Michael Poole