Re: LCC and blobs

Glenn,

If you don't have a physical copy of the device, the driver doesn't work either. Very similarly to the way it would act if you don't have the firmware. The problem is that we have to distribute the firmware when it's a BLOB.

    Thanks

    Bruce

Glenn Maynard wrote:
If the driver has to be able to open the file and read the blob so it
can send it to the device, there's a clear relationship and dependency
between the driver and the blob: if you don't have a copy of the blob,
the driver doesn't work.  (Spewing out "hardware error, firmware not
loaded" doesn't count to me as "working".)

The difference is simple: if running a device requires that a driver
have access to a piece of data, the user must have access to that
data (and so its copyright restrictions kick in; I might not be allowed
to give it to you, even if the company that made the device no longer
exists).  If the device merely stores that software on the device itself,
that isn't the case.

If the user must be subjected to non-free restrictions to use a piece
of software (such as a driver), it belongs in contrib; that's what
contrib was created for.

(The fact that this is a result of hardware implementation decisions
is irrelevant.)