Re: GPL and command-line libraries

Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
Compare, for example, a painting.  If I make a painting with a 5' by
3' hole in it, that is not derivative of Starry Night.

Even if I paint in complementary art such that if you put SN in there,
it looks nice, that's probably not derivative.  But if I bolt the two
paintings together, and ship copies of the whole thing, then

a) I'm shipping Starry Night, so its copyright holder gets a say.
b) the bolts aren't a creative work
c) This clearly isn't "mere aggregation"

So whether or not it's a derivative work, in the sense of any nation's
copyright laws, doesn't really matter.

But in the case of the DFSG and the GPL it does. Saying "You may not distribute this work along with a frame designed to hold it" violates DFSG 1.

And the GPL does not attempt to cover the frame; the GPL explicitly defines a "work based on the Program" as "either the Program or any derivative work under copyright law."