Re: GPL and command-line libraries

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 07:31:06AM -0800, Ken Arromdee wrote:
> Why?  Distributing X, which relies on Y, isn't the same as distributing the
> combination.  Surely you don't think that if I distribute Word Perfect, which
> relies on Windows, I'm actually distributing a combination of WP and Windows
> and thus I'm violating Microsoft's copyright.

Distribution techniques are not limited to some specific mechanical

If I ship some product in three parts, such that the combination of those
three parts is consistently assembled and used, then I'm distributing
that product.

If, on the other hand, I happen to be shipping the component parts for
some product but that product typically does not arrive at the other end,
then I'm not distributing that product.

That's all.