Request for IPR review

Hi All,

I've been asked to get some sort of review from the free software world of the new OASIS[1] IPR draft. I tried to review it myself, but the legalese is a bit on the opaque side for me.

The concern is that the new policy, if accepted, might push some OASIS Committee specifications/work products into the non-free arena. If this is indeed the case, it would create a *huge* problem, as two core pieces of Debian - DocBook & XML Catalogs - are OASIS Committee products. (FWIW, the affects would also be felt by GNOME & every other project that uses DocBook for their documentation systems.)

I have a PDF copy of the IPR draft that I'd be happy to send off-list to an individual for review. I'd post it to this list, but am concerned of the legality of doing so, even though Debian is an OASIS member.

The good news is that the licensing section is very brief, and so won't take much time for someone schooled in legal jargon. The relevant material is in section 10.

Can anyone who is interested in reviewing the document please contact me? I'll send you the document for a quick review.

Thanks,
Mark

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org
Mark Johnson      <mrj@debian.org>
Debian XML/SGML:  <http://debian-xml-sgml.alioth.debian.org>
Home Page:        <http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/>
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242