Re: GPL and command-line libraries

Scripsit Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org>

> [On -legal we generally operate under the assumption that for any case
> where the outcome is in doubt, it will go against us; entities with
> better lawyers than ours can afford to take larger risks]

Just for the record, it's not the quality of *Debian's* lawyers that
is the primary consideration. I'm sure that if somebody actually sued
Debian (or one of our mirror operators or ftp-masters), and we had
a leg to stand on at all, the free-software community would gather
together to support a very competent legal defense.

What we're really worried about is that our *users* should have the
rights we promise them. And if somebody sues one of our users, the
user will have to mount his legal defense out of his own pockets.
The software we let into main should be sufficiently unambigously
licensed that a user in this situation will not need more than an
ordinary consumer-grade lawyer to defend against such a lawsuit.

--
Henning Makholm                   "The great secret, known to internists and
                         learned early in marriage by internists' wives, but