Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> wrote:
>> Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> wrote:
>> > And, if that seems nonsensical to you, you're right -- or, at least,
>> > that scenario seems rather nonsensical to me.  Debian currently doesn't
>> > represent the kind of market which could lead to this kind of situation.
>
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 05:44:36PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> I'm not suggesting that that's why they're doing it. I'm suggesting that
>> our moving the driver in response suggests that something is wrong.
>
> You're arguing semantics, at best.

There are all sorts of reasons that a vendor may put an eeprom on a
device in a later revision. The fact that they do so should not alter
the section that a driver appears in any more than changing from a CD to
floppy should.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org