Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

On Oct 25, Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> >>And the driver requires a functioning hardware device.  Thus, the
> > This is not an use of the verb "require" I'm familiar with.
> The driver has no useful functionality without a device to drive.
> What's unclear about this?
It's not clear how this is related to the argument. Obviously any kind
of device driver has limited practical use[1] if you do not own the
hardware device, and so are programs like ICQ and AIM clients if you do
not have access to the proprietary servers they connect to, but still
policy does not require to keep this kind of free software out of Debian.

[1] But it may be an invaluable source of code and ideas to use in other
    projects...

--
ciao, |
Marco | [8732 stX1et.crwkrc]