Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> > Ignoring Brian's strange arguments about rodents, I can see no cases
> > where the user has more freedom if the firmware comes from an eeprom
> > rather than from a CD.
> He can sell the device with the firmware in it,

How's that different?  If the firmware comes on a CD the user can sell the
device along with the CD.  He can't copy the CD, but then he wouldn't be
allowed to copy the eeprom in the other case.

> or reverse engineer it
> without encountering any license agreements involving the firmware.

I don't see how that's different either.  In what way could a license agreement
prevent reverse engineering when the firmware is on CD, that could not be
equally valid or invalid if the license agreement were applied directly to
the hardware?