Re: Is this software really GPL?

Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 08:25:07PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
>>>"You cannot install, or ask your customer to install a GPL version of
>>>OpenQM and then install your own product unless that product is also
>>>delivered to the user under GPL or an approved variant."
>>
>>This would be accurate for the case that "your own product" incorporates
>>sources from OpenQM.
>>
>>Otherwise, it's irrelevant.
>
> It's misleading.  I can install OpenQM--or ask customers to--and then
> install whatever I want.  If it's a library, I can't link against it
> with GPL-incompatible code, but that has nothing to do with how it was
> installed or what I ask people to do.

I suspect their intent is to make it clear that you can't weasel out of
the GPL's requirements by simply providing your application separately
from the GPLed OpenQM, which is true.  I agree that this, like many
statements on their pages, are badly misleading; on the other hand,
there are several things on their page that sound like they actually
have a better understanding of the GPL than most, such as their explicit
note that GPL != non-commercial, as well as a statement that when
someone is "violating the GPL", what they are really violating is
copyright law, since they are distributing without a license.

- Josh Triplett