Re: Academic Free License 2.1 -- free or not?

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:43:16 +0200, Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:

> P.S.: No need to Cc: (or To:) me, as I'm a debian-legal subscriber.
>       Instead, I'm Cc:ing Carlos Laviola, since he asked to be Cc:ed
>       (or did you subscribe in the meanwhile, Carlos?)

Still haven't subscribed, but I'm reading the archives periodically.
I'm in the middle of a lot of stuff -- just gave a talk about Debian
at the university's 2nd annual week on "FLOSS", have an Statistics and
Calculus exam today and tomorrow, respectively, gotta go to the
dentist, am moving out of my parents' house... Heh :-)

It would be a hell of a lot easier for everyone involved if the FIGlet
people would choose MIT/BSD style.  I don't know what to do now. Maybe
when Christiaan, the current FIGlet maintainer, comes back from
vacation and release a new version with the license changes, I'll just
*have* to upload to non-free. I don't know whether the current,
Artistic-licensed version still qualifies for main; all I do now is
that the people who held copyrights on FIGlet in the past are still
very much interested in keeping it free software. *sigh*

When I have a few hours of spare time, I'll compile everything I have
so far and mail the list again, subscribe using something non-webmaily
-- gmail is nice, but it's a bitch for mailing lists -- and, well,
actually try to solve this situation.

This is a call for help; if you have some time, please subscribe to
the figlet mailing list and start a discussion on this subject or
something.

Thanks a lot for all of your help so far.

Carlos

--
Carlos Laviola
carlos.laviola@gmail.com