Re: Free Art License

On 2004-09-30 04:27:05 +0100 Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 11:24:47PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
It's not always clear what the preferred form of modification would be
for a piece of media. [...]
So specify it.
That's a very bad idea; it'd merely be *his* preferred form, and the GPL doesn't say "the original author's preferred form of the work for making
modifications to it".

Why is it a bad idea for the copyright holders to say "I consider .... the preferred form for modifying this program" in doubt? They are the ones who will be trying to enforce the licence. Far from being irrelevant, it's a useful hint for licensees that could help clear things up. Of course, if the work has ben transformed the work in some fundamental way, the original copyright holders' opinion will be less relevant.

The rest of your message dealt with the case "the preferred form for modifying this program is the C code", which I think is stronger, different and not what I meant.

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
LinuxExpo.org.uk village 6+7 Oct http://www.affs.org.uk