Re: Open Software License v2.1

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 09:04:26AM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> > > Right, it's giving the copyright holder special treatment. That's my point.
> >
> > Thinko due to neighboring words; s/licensee/licensor/.  (I suppose I
> > should just use "copyright holder" and "user".)  It's not giving the
> > copyright holder special treatment at all; it very explicitly and
> > deliberately treats the copyright holder and users equally.
>
> You've been tricked by lawyers. This clause says that only the
> copyright holder may file patent lawsuits.

... alleging that the Original Work infringes a patent, you mean.

The original copyright holder will have a hard time making such a
claim, since the license itself grants a patent license for his patents
("Grant of Patent License").

Now, there's a practical issue: the copyright holder may change, so
the copyright holder isn't the original licensor--if I buy the copyright
for the work, the existing licensees aren't going to suddenly get a
license to *my* patents, as well.  (I don't presently agree with the
arguments that these clauses are fundamentally non-free in principle,
but I'm tending to think that this practical issue--which I've mentioned
before[1]--may be fatal.)

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/09/msg00260.html

--
Glenn Maynard