Re: Open Software License v2.1

* Raul Miller:

> I'm not even sure what "indirect support of software patents" means --
> is anything other than outspoken criticism of software patents "indirect
> support"?

If you try to convince your fellow Debian developers and upstream
developers to drop all defenses against software patents, you either
assume that the threat is not real (I don't think anyone here takes
this position), or that the interests of the patent owners should
dominate the free software community.

Unfortunately, copyright licenses are the only defense against
software patents which we can actually employ and which has a slight
chance of being effective in a wide variety of jurisdictions.

However, this discussion belongs to -project, because it's not just a
question of software licenses, but also of Debian's long-term policies
on software patents.  (There's a new thread over there, finally.)