Re: Debian and Mozilla Trademarks

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 06:18:08AM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:30:55PM -0700, Paul C. Bryan wrote:
> >
> >>Are there any other examples of restrictions placed on open-source licenses
> >>that Debian has had to deal with in the past? When a package is resricted
> >>by trademark usage, does Debian have a policy to effectively deal with it?
> >
> > There's no difference between trademark law and anything else, and
> > nothing special about copyright law. We are interested in what you can
> > do with the work, for *whatever* legal reasons. It is significant that
> > the DFSG does not talk about copyrights.
>
> Agreed entirely; unfortunately, this logic does not seem to be applied
> in the case of the discussions of the license for the Debian logo.  See
> the "Free Debian logos?" thread.

The Official Use logo is not, as far as I understand, intended to be
DFSG-free at all, and is not intended to be used in main; I don't think
this is considered a bug.  The Open Use logo should be, but isn't; this
is a bug, but I think it's an acknowledged one.

I don't think many people are seriously advocating that the DFSG only
applies to restrictions made under copyright law.

--
Glenn Maynard