Re: Debian and Mozilla Trademarks

On 2004-09-09 06:30:55 +0100 Paul C. Bryan <email@pbryan.net> wrote:

Has anyone at Debian sought permission from the Mozilla Organization to use the Mozilla trademarks in its packages? In your legal opinions, would it make a substantive difference?

I feel that Debian uses MF's trademarks to honestly identify the goods as those of the Mozilla Foundation. Under English law, that seems to mean that we do not need permission to use the trademarks because this is not an infringing use (Trade Marks Act 1994, s10(6)). I suspect that international agreements mean the US has a similar situation, but I don't know that. I am not a lawyer, neither.

Nathaneal Nerode disagrees with my interpretation, according to http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/02/msg00279.html - he thinks it must be the official unmodified version. That probably is a restriction on modification.

The Firefox icon may be a more obvious problem, but I don't remember its full license details.

[...] When a package is resricted by trademark usage, does Debian have a policy to effectively deal with it?

Trademark registrations are annoyingly peripheral to the package, like patents. With copyright, it is an property put in all software that we can't ignore. Trademarks can exist, but someone could have a licence covering everyone redistributing debian and we need not know about it. It is only when we discover a holder who successfully enforces trademarks that it becomes clear-cut. In the recent past, we've been pretty lucky that agressive trademark holders use non-free copyright licences too.

Here's a fun idea: Trademarks are also limited by field of use. If I remember correctly, there are only live firefox US trademarks covering internet software, fire suppression systems and boats. I encourage everyone to search their local trademarks, then sell other firefox merchandise and promise to donate profits to the Mozilla Foundation when they issue blanket trademark licences to all free software. Of course, this is not legal advice: you get that from lawyers, not devious hackers.

Visit the AFFS stand, .org village LinuxExpoUK, 6-7 Oct