Re: cdrecord: weird GPL interpretation

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 08:16:27PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> Because "fee" is an English word meaning a payment for a good or
> service.  It really doesn't mean "money only," in any context where
> precise language is used.  If I have to perform in some way to obtain
> a license, then that's a fee.
>
> Do you have a better word, taking brevity and clarity into account?

"Restriction".  It includes all fees, and also includes things which are
obviously not fees (such as, again, "only on Tuesday"), and is also directly
tied to DFSG#1.  I prefer it because contrived-feeling (whether legitimate
or not) use of "fee" may spread the notion that only "fees" are covered by
DFSG#1, and not other restrictions; and lead to more pointless dictionary-
lawyering over whether something is a "fee" or not.

--
Glenn Maynard