Re: NEW ocaml licence proposal by upstream, will be part of the 3.08.1 release going into sarge.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 07:30:58PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> > > But GPL v2 explicitly allows other users to make this version choice
> > > themselves.  So later users still have the option to use GPL v3, just
> > > like you did.
>
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 05:22:13PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> > No, it doesn't.  GPL v2 section 9 only allows that if the program is
> > available under GPL v2 "or any later version" -- and my modifications
> > aren't licensed that way.  They are only available under GPL v2.
>
> You need to release your changes under the same terms you received the
> Program, or you lose your rights to distribute the Program.

FYI, the reply from the FSF I received was essentially that yes, you can
make modifications to a "v2 or newer" GPL program and place them under a
"v2 only" GPL and the result is compatible; that works exercising GPL#9
is not intended to be incompatible with works not doing so.

The reply came privately, and I asked for permission to forward it; the
response was essentially "let me find out" (which I find a little odd)
and I'm still waiting for further word.

--
Glenn Maynard