Re: NEW ocaml licence proposal by upstream, will be part of the 3.08.1 release going into sarge.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 09:26:37AM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> >> We're looking at very different versions of GPL 9.  I'm going to go
> >> through it a bit at a time:

> >> That's just a statement of fact.

> >> Well, my changes don't do that, so that's OK.
> >
> > Notice that one could argue that altough your changes my indeed be licenced
> > under GPL v2 and only that one, if you combine it with the real thing, and
> > make a binary distribution for example, you are then forced to give the same
> > permissions as the original work was under, namely GPL v2 or later.
>
> I don't see any text in the GPL to support that.  The copyleft in the
> GPLv2 is in 2b, which says "this License" -- a phrase used often in
> the document, and clearly referring to GPLv2 and not any other
> license.
>
> That's distinct from GPL 6, which extends the original license to the
> public, and forbids further restrictions on the rights to "the
> Program" -- that is, the original work, not modifications to it
> discussed in GPL 2.
>
> So if I make a change to the Program and distribute my modified
> program, combined with the real thing as a binary, as you say, then I
> must distribute under the terms of "this License" -- GPL v2.  That's
> the only license I received it under.  Though the author may have
> offered it to me under a variety of licenses, including the BSD or GPL
> v3 licenses, I did not accept those and don't have to pay attention to
> them -- that's because they're all license grants, not contracts to
> which I have agreed.  They are disjunctive in combination, not
> conjunctive.

Interesting point. Still it would cause problem to upstream to integrate your
patch, because he cannot easily merge a GPL 2 only patch into a GPL 2 or later
original work, since it would obviously force him to drop the "or later" part
of the original work in the merged work.

> > Compare this to the QPL permission to release a patch under any version you
> > well please, as long as you don't do binary distribution.
>
> That's uninteresting -- for Free software, we have to assume all users
> modify the software and distribute modified versions to their close
> friends.

Well, sure, so, as long as you don't distribute binaries, the QPL is as free
as the GPL if not more. So, we have only to concentrate in the other case, in
both cases.

Friendly,

Sven Luther