Re: Suggestions of David Nusinow, was: RPSL and DFSG-compliance - choice of venue

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 11:08:17AM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 06:44:25PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:

> > >As I said, to ensure the applicants understand the issues involved.
> >
> > If *all* answers are accepted, even ones like Andrew Suffield's
> > example, I don't see how it does that.
>
> That's what followup questions are for.  Followup questions are pretty
> much always necessary for 5a and 6, since most applicants won't give
> detailed answers without prodding.

Since we're talking in hypotheticals here, feel free to assume that
after much prodding all you got was a wordier form of the same
thing. It's not particularly unlikely; there is no position so stupid
that you cannot find a person who holds it.

> Other than that, it's up to the AM to judge "social" competence or
> whatever, based on the applicant's participation on the mailing lists,
> etc.  Debian does not place much importance on social competence in
> general (not just in NM) though, as you've probably noticed...

Don't confuse competence with conformance. One is a measure of whether
you agree with somebody; the other is a measure of whether you can
work with them *despite* not agreeing with them. AMs tend to be lousy
at this though, so it's one of those things which falls to the DAM
(compare the number of applicants rejected by their AM for being a
fuckwit to the number rejected by the DAM for being a fuckwit).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |