Re: Netatalk and OpenSSL licencing

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 09:54:05AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> All licenses have "reimplementation waste" issues, in some form or
> another.  Copyright law guarantees this.

At varying degrees; among free licenses, the GPL has some of the most
severe, and that's completely by design.  I don't like forcing people to
waste their time reimplementing code I've written, so I don't tend to
put my work under the GPL.

I understand how copyleft ensures that you can reintegrate changes.  It does
this, very deliberately, at the cost of other rewriting due to forced license
incompatibility.  This is a tradeoff.  It's a functional tradeoff, one which
I'm not condemning at all; but it does have two sides.  In exchange for its
benefits, it also causes waste for people dealing with cases like Netatalk,
with free but GPL-incompatible licenses.

I don't think I've said anything new or strange about the GPL--it causes
rewriting, it's designed to do so, and I think it's fair to acknowledge that.

--
Glenn Maynard