Re: Netatalk and OpenSSL licencing

Ken Arromdee <arromdee@rahul.net>:

> Then any Windows program which uses undocumented Windows system calls (of
> which there are plenty) is a derivative work of Windows and can't be
> distributed without Microsoft's permission, at least until someone discovers
> the system calls and implements them in Wine?

Probably not, but Windows plus the program is probably a derivative
work of Windows, rather than mere aggregation, which means that if
Windows were licensed under the GPL then the program would also have
to be licensed under the GPL. However, since Windows is released under
a non-viral licence, this problem doesn't arise :-)

(I think you've made the usual mistake of confusing "A is a derivative
work of B" with "A plus B is a derivative work of B".)