Re: RPSL and DFSG-compliance - choice of venue

Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Josh Triplett writes:
>>Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>
>>>But it seems that codifying the more common non-free clauses would
>>>remove some of the ambiguities in the DFSG, and then people on -legal
>>>would have less to hand-wave about. That seems to be a core
>>>objection...
>>
>>No, I think the main objection is that many people don't want to
>>consider the hand-waving arguments at all, and think everything that
>>can't be precisely related to some specific DFSG point should be
>>considered Free.
>
> I think you're mis-stating my point. The default state should not
> necessarily be that any license is Free unless proven otherwise. I've
> never said that.

I did not mean to imply that you in particular did.  Some people do feel
that way, however, and I feel that is a major problem.

>>I dislike the idea that every new clause would require modifying the
>>DFSG, and that clauses which have not yet been prohibited would be allowed.
>
> Again, you're exaggerating this. Some license clauses are clearly,
> unambiguously not free. Others are not. If we've seen several
> variations along the same theme where there is a clear consensus that
> such a thing is non-free, _that's_ when I'm saying we should mention
> it. Maybe as an example of a common bad license clause, whatever.

What about the ones that don't directly relate to a DFSG point, but are
not "clearly, unambiguously not free" to everyone?

>>With that in mind, what if we just amended the DFSG to include a
>>statement at the top explicitly acknowledging the "Guidelines"
>>interpretation, and pointing out that the DFSG is not an exhaustive list
>>of allowable license clauses?  That way, it is clearer that the DFSG
>>cannot be used as a checklist, and that general-consensus
>>interpretations about a license are valid.
>

> pass, or a simple majority of the small number of self-selecting
> interested posters to debian-legal, many of whom are not DDs? That's
> the point I've been trying to make for a long time here.

I would tend to say a supermajority consensus on debian-legal, with the
ability for the project as a whole to override such a decision with a
GR, based on sections 4.1.3 and 4.2.2 of the Debian Constitution.  I
suspect that such an ability would rarely be used, considering that it
would be easier to simply get the developers who would vote for such a
GR to help you argue your case on debian-legal.

Note also that debian-policy is basically self-selecting (albeit with a
more formal process), and it seems to work fine.

As for some debian-legal members not being developers :), that is an
issue to consider as well. On the one hand, many contributors to
debian-legal are not DDs. On the other hand, we don't really want
single-shot opinion mails from people uninterested in rational
discussion. I would tend to say that if it became necessary to adopt a
formal process, then it would have to be limited to DDs, while if the
process remained semi-informal like it is now, then all contributors
would probably be included in the informal "do we have consensus" check.

- Josh Triplett