Re: Please pass judgement on X-Oz licence: free or nay?

Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> And the MIT license says:
>
> MIT> ... that the name of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
> MIT> (M.I.T.) not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to
> MIT> distribution of the software without specific, written prior
> MIT> permission.

As the GNU page on licenses handily points out, there are several
different MIT licenses. You're reading the wrong one. The X11 license
(commonly called the MIT/X11 license) says:

Except as contained in this notice, the name of a copyright holder shall
not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or
other dealings in this Software without prior written authorization of
the copyright holder.

/usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86/copyright contains the following:

Except as contained in this notice, the name of Software in the Public
Interest, Inc. shall not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote
the sale, use or other dealings in this Software without prior written
authorization from Software in the Public Interest, Inc.

and:

Except as contained in this notice, the name of the XFree86 Project
shall not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use
or other deal- ings in this Software without prior written authorization
from the XFree86 Project.

and:

Except as contained in this notice, the name of the X Consortium shall
not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or
other dealings in this Software without prior written authorization from
the X Consortium.

and:

Except as contained in this notice, the name of The Open Group shall not
be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other
dealings in this Software without prior written authorization from The
Open Group.

We're already distributing 4 subtly different versions of this license
in one package alone.

> It's not just non-free; it's not practical to work with such
> restricted software.

I am not going to allow you to imply that every single person other than
you who has read the X11 license has failed to think about the
implications.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org