Re: Please pass judgement on X-Oz licence: free or nay?

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 12:34:27PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 11:09:24AM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> >> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
> >>
> > As said, it is mostly the plain X/MIT licence, so if it is non-free, we are in
> > deep trouble. Please go ahead and fill the bug report asking for the removal
> > of XFree86 from debian/main.
>
> No, it's quite different.  The Dawes license says:
>
> DD> Except as contained in this notice, the name of the copyright holder(s)
> DD> and author(s) shall not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote
> DD> the sale, use or other dealings in this Software without prior written
> DD> authorization from the copyright holder(s) and author(s).
>
> [...]

This is a boilerplate licence. There is no canonical MIT/X11 licence,
there are about four. This is one of them -- maybe the DEC one. Either
way, massive chunks of X are under this licence.

> It's not just non-free; it's not practical to work with such
> restricted software.

I hope you're not particularly attached to X.

--
Daniel Stone                                                <daniels@debian.org>
Debian: the universal operating system                     http://www.debian.org